January 27th, was International Holocaust Remembrance Day. The words “Never Again” was associated with lessons learned from the holocaust that never again would such genocidal actions take place. Yet on October 7th, 2023, another genocidal attack took place by Hamas. Calling this attack genocidal is no exaggeration as the Hamas charter expresses the goal of wiping Israel off the face of the earth. So as a means of self-preservation, Israel has gone to war against Hamas in an attempt to permanently eradicate the threat.
The war is now in its 17th week. As of today, rockets continue to be launched toward Israel. Recently, at an outpost in Jordan, 3 U.S. soldiers were killed and over 30 service members were injured by a drone attack. All this is taking place while threats continue to come from Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthi camps.
Appearing on Crosstalk to bring his perspective on Israel and the Middle East was Dr. Jim Showers. Dr. Showers is executive director of The Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry. He leads this ministry that for over 85 years has been meeting the spiritual and physical needs of Jewish people worldwide, standing against every form of anti-semitism, while supporting the right of the Jewish people to live in their ancient homeland. This ministry is also actively engaged in providing bomb shelters for Israelis. Dr. Showers also leads tours to Israel and serves as a conference teacher. He’s served with FOI since 2002.
The discussion between Jim and Dr. Showers covered many aspects of current life in Israel and how the nation is moving forward in the midst of war. For example:
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day–October 7th was a reminder to the Jewish people to be ever vigilant. Israel is united in purpose and cause with one heart and voice. Dr. Showers sees no indication Israel wants to end the fighting. In fact, the fear is that the nation won’t finish the job due to international pressure. They want to deal with the perpetrators so that what we saw on October 7th never happens again.
- The hearing of the International Court of Justice and how South Africa accused Israel of committing genocide in Gaza.
- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East suspected in taking part in the attack on Israel.
- Does Dr. Showers find that U.S. support for the war in Israel is waning?
- What’s the broader picture that Dr. Showers sees unfolding in the Middle East?
- Dr. Showers described how the bomb shelter program has worked over the past 12 years.
To receive a free, one year trial subscription to Israel My Glory magazine call 1-800-257-7843 or go to foi.org.