Isaiah 3:4 — We just read about this curse under Solomon in Ecclesiastes 10:16.
Isaiah 3:12 — No, this verse is not talking about if Hillary would have won the election. There are several possible theories:
- Pulpit Commentary: “… comp. Herodotus, 8:88, where Xerxes says that ‘his men have shown themselves women, and his women men;’ and see also Virgil’s Aeneid ‘O vere Phrygia, neque enim Phryges.’ The rulers were womanly, i.e. weak, wavering, timid, impulsive, passionate, and are therefore called actual ‘women.’ There is no allusion to female sovereigns.”
- Gill’s Exposition: “Because the child has the title of ruler, the mother is the actual ruler (regent).”
- Believer’s Study Bible: “This verse depicts the rulers as childish, weak, incompetent men who were leading the people astray. The intention may not be to criticize a particular leader (e.g., Ahaz), but to show the prophet’s contempt for all the existing leadership.”
There were no good queens in Israel – they were all among the “evil rulers”. Athaliah killed her children (2 Kings 11) and Jezebel killed the prophets (1 Kings 18). These queens were in contrast to Deborah (Judges 4-5).
Isaiah 4:1 — Isaiah isn’t talking about his dating troubles, rather the shame of widowhood because the men will be slain (Isaiah 3:25). But after judgment there will be a deliverance!
Isaiah 4:2 — This is the first reference to the Branch of the LORD. He will lead those who escape; He is beautiful and glorious!
Isaiah 5:10 — Ellicott’s Commentary for English Readers says that 1 bath is the equivalent of 7.5 gallons. When the land should produce 500 baths (3,750 gallons), this is poverty.
Isaiah 5:11 — What should we do in the morning? Follow strong drink – NO! Follow the LORD – YES! (Psalm 5:3)
Isaiah 5:15-16 — The proud shall be humbled, but the LORD shall be exalted!
Isaiah 5:20 — Speaking of calling evil good – here’s Pastor Joe Wright’s prayer in the Kansas State Legislature:
Isaiah 5:25 — Yes, God’s judgment is coming. God is a God of love, but He’s also a God of anger!
2 Corinthians 11:4 — Too many religions today preach another Jesus:
- Islam denies that Jesus was God, crucified for us
- Jehovah’s Witnesses believe Jesus is just Michael the Archangel
- Mormons believe Jesus is the brother of Lucifer
CARM offers a test to see if you have the true Jesus.
2 Corinthians 11:14 — Interestingly, the New Age Movement is centered on the idea of light.
Psalm 53:1 — Religious “nones” are on the rise in America. Yes, there are none that doeth good (Psalm 53:3, Romans 3:23). Salvation is needed (Psalm 53:6)!
Psalm 53:2 — Here’s a Scripture memory song from Earl Martin:
Proverbs 22:28 — From Woodrow Kroll:
Landmarks were important in antiquity, just as they are today. A stone erected at the corner of a field told a farmer where his field ended and his neighbor’s field began. Ancient landmarks marked boundaries; they told you how far you could go—and where you could go no farther. They established order and made for good relationships … Ancient landmarks provided clarity as well as protection. Much of the unclear theological thinking today is likely due to those who have removed one or more of these ancient landmarks. That is why Solomon’s advice is still valid and necessary.
Proverbs 22:29 — God rewards the diligent! You may wonder why it has taken so long for your work to be rewarded. Don’t grow weary – God will reward you!
Share how reading through the Bible has been a blessing to you! E-mail us at email@example.com or call and leave a message at 414-885-5370.